Tuesday 6 May 2008

Taking Responsibility


Dr Crippen draws our attention to the plight of Paul Gascoigne




Whilst working in A&E I've lost count of the number of times patients with drug/alcohol dependencey have presented in 'crisis'. Often with well meaning friends/family who are determined that this time he/she will 'kill the beast' and return to sobriety. I've also lost count of the number times I've walked out of the back door of the hospital and seen said 'convert' drinking, smoking or shooting up.

The main problem, in my opinion, is the medicalisation of these social/behavioural problems, I suspect it is often more about shifting blame/responsibility than it is about seeking treatment. Whilst Mavis' sentiments about Gazza's predicament is laudable. I can't help thinking that the lachrymose Geordie needs to buck up and take some responsibility for his lifestyle and it's inevitable result.

2 comments:

Asclepius said...

When I was young my mother was an alcoholic. She had attended rehab several times and relapsed. It wasnt until she realised that no one else was to blame for her situation and that she was the only one who could effect the changes she wanted to see that rehab worked. Shes been clean for many years now.

Apparently in rehab one of the steps they teach you is accepting the existance of a higher power. This is certainly not the technique that worked for my mother.

I do feel sorry for substance dependants however I get incredibly frustrated when they blame everyone but themselves for their dependency.

Pressure Washing Gilbert said...

Hi greaat reading your post