Friday, 16 May 2008

Poor Judgement

I came across this sad and worrying case today.

I was particularly struck by the following:

'The nurse, Sue Lindsay, said she could not elicit any symptoms of psychosis in his voice and gave the 28-year-old a 24-hour crisis number to call.
Days later, on June 9 last year, degree student Mr Woodruffe, of St George's Street, Ipswich, jumped to his death off the Orwell bridge.'

I think that this is inexcusable. Making a decision on a patient's care, when they have obviously contacted you in crisis cannot be adequately performed over the 'phone. A face to face assessment is mandatory.

According the Mental Health Trust, guidelines were followed. Although they concede that they are now reviewing them - so that's OK then is it?

Fuck the guidelines, whatever happened to common sense and sound judgement?

2 comments:

Nurse Practitioners Save Lives said...

Gee, what does psychosis really sound like?? Anyone who calls into an office and is in any crisis situation needs to be seen, not just heard, by a professional.

Jannis27 said...

I thought my sexual problem was caused by a psychological problem but after visiting my doctor told me that he did not. So I decided to order Generic Sildenafil Citrate pills online.