Saturday 2 February 2008

Cooking with Kids

Saw a child recently with a minor head injury and laceration. Mum had rubbed some almond oil and turmeric into the wound. The kid smelt like marinade - but the bleeding had stopped. I looked this up and apparently turmeric has been used for ages on small cuts/wounds.

http://www.american.edu/ted/turmeric.htm

Perhaps I should get a jar for my first aid kit.
There's no mention of almond oil, perhaps mum just added that because she likes the smell. It certainly got me salivating.

On a different note, when I worked in A&E we often dealt with burnt kids whose parents had applied a large dollop of butter to their burn before bringing them in. I was often reminded of Delia and her advice to always baste your meat thoroughly.

2 comments:

Spirit of 1976 said...

Almond oil and turmeric? Lovely.


Maybe this could be the start of a new TV series? Delia Smith's Cooking with Human Flesh.

GrumpyRN said...

Many years ago had a chap from a kebab shop who had applied chili powder to his scalp lac. Said it was the normal thing in his country.